Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 16 - Modern Marvels (At Least To Me)

Does the name Josephine Cochrane ring a bell with any of you? Probably not. But she is whom I am thankful for today. (And just in case any of you were wondering - yes, my mother-in-law is named Josephine. No, this is not her. But I am thankful for her because without her I would not have my wonderful husband. But I digress.) Josephine Cochrane is the mother of the marvelous invention that has become a standard in modern kitchens across America - the dishwasher.

Let me preface the rest of this post by saying that of all the chores/duties/tasks that I do on a regular basis washing dishes is one that I detest the most. Even so, I take that little machine for granted. But today as I stood at the kitchen sink washing the piles of pots and pans that I don't put in the dishwasher (I know, I'm weird that way), I started thinking about how many more dishes there would be to wash if that convenient little appliance weren't there. And what about all the other little machines that make our lives so much easier than they were for some of our ancestors - the oven, the microwave, the vacuum cleaner, and the list goes on and on.

OK - so maybe today's post is a little goofy. But seriously, if we really stop and think about all the conveniences that we take for granted, you'd be surprised at how much we really have to be thankful for. (Remember that in the morning while you enjoy your big cup of coffee that you brewed in 10 minutes in your own kitchen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment