Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Days 9 - 14: Oops, Marriage, Anything


It happened…I fell off the daily posting wagon. But you know what? That's ok…at least for me, right now, in this season of life. I'm choosing to extend a little grace to myself.

After the most awesome weekend at a marriage retreat reconnecting with my hubby, I came back and was mentally overwhelmed by all the great stuff we took in from some great speakers. Add to that the physical overwhelmedness (yes that's a word in my book) of re-entry and any coherent thoughts I might have had flew out the window. 

It's taken me this long to catch up with it all - or at least attempt to catch up. (The laundry piles still rival Everest, but that's a never-ending battle anyway. And what is it with my children wanting to eat three meals a day?)

But I do have a few thoughts I want to share from our weekend at the Lifeway Marriage Getaway.

1) We have never been to a marriage retreat before. We will celebrate our 20th anniversary in December. Why, oh why, did we wait so long? The old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," most certainly does not apply to this. It might not be broken - and that's awesome - but that doesn't mean you can't make it that much better. You need not be on the brink of divorce (and I pray that you are not) to benefit from a weekend like this.

2) Simplify, simplify, simplify. Whether it's your cluttered schedule or your cluttered home, it affects your life as well as the lives of people you could be investing in if you weren't so overwhelmed with coordinating calendars or tripping over actual stuff. We both acknowledge that this is an area we struggle with. So we have committed to simplifying all aspects of our lives so we can more freely reach out to those who need the Gospel as well as those who may know the Gospel but need a little extra encouragement.

3) And while this wasn't necessarily related to any one session, we felt led to begin a book/Bible study together. Bible studies aren't new to us by any means, and in years past we've been in group Bible studies together. But we've never just done a Bible study as a couple. We chose Anything by Jennie Allen. I've had this one on my personal reading list for a while. But after this weekend, it felt like this was something we should do together. The premise of the book is about what happens when we completely surrender every aspect of our livest to God and boldly pray, "God, we will do anything." To be honest, we're a little bit nervous - not about spending time in the Word and in study with each other, but what our ANYTHING might be.


Now let's go finish laundry and cook dinner. And hopefully I'll make it back here again tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment